Historical photos in Otter Tail County CANDOR TOWNSHIP: There were two townships organized on January 8, 1880, by the county commissioners - Candor and Star Lake. Candor was one of the first townships organized in the northern tier township and came into existence as a result of the satisfactory petition of twenty-five legal voters residing in township 137, range 41. On the 26th of the same month the first election for county officers was held at the house of A. Bradberry.

The names of the legal voters of said township who contributed to its organization were as follows: H. P. Johnson, Samuel Burgner, Charles French, Herbert Kinkle, George B. Grass, John Morneval, T. A. Blem, C. Drake, John Wallace, Isaac M. Spike, Iver Reynolds, H. C. Cook, F. Klug, H. A. Bradburg, Carl Glanex, Robert Schram, William Furnold, F. A. Blossom, Fred Green, A. A. Drake, Daniel M. Still, Frank S. Biekle, Andrew Becke, William Glanex and M. B. Bradburg.

This township was the forty-fifth to be organized in the county and this may be accounted for by the fact that it was so far distant from the county seat. Located in the northern tier of townships it is nearly forty miles from Fergus Falls, while its nearest trading center for many years was Pelican Rapids, more than twelve miles distant. The building of the Soo line through the township in 1903 put it in touch with the outside world and has been the means of appreciably raising the value of land in the township.

Several lakes are to be found within the confines of the township, the chief ones being Leek, Hand, Loon, Hook, Otter, Cooks, Schrams, Ida and part of Sauer, the latter being mostly in Becker county. In addition to these there are a number of smaller bodies of water scattered over the township. The general elevation of the township is above a thousand feet and the many lakes do not prevent the farmers from having well drained and productive farms.

There have been two town sites, platted in the township, Vergas and Elmwood.

Source: The book "History of Otter Tail County" Volume I - 1916 by John W. Mason

2010 Census Data

Population = 561

Median age = 52.7

Total housing units = 417

Median household income = $47,500

Geography = According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 34.5 square miles (89 km2), of which 30.6 square miles (79 km2) of it is land and 4.0 square miles (10 km2) of it (11.45%) is water.

Did you know ...

Across the road from the Town Hall is the Bradbury Homestead. Established in 1878, it is the oldest inhabitable building in the Township. The estate has been well cared for over the years, and although improvements have been made, the buildings are pretty close to original. A barn that once stood on the property was host to many a Saturday night dance.